Monday, November 26, 2012

Cijin Island

Cijin (sounds like Chee-Jeen) Island off the coast of Gaoxiong
Cijin Island
Cijin Island, Kaohsiung is a small island just a 5 minute ferry (Cijin Ferry) journey across Kaohsiung Harbour (it is also reachable by car from a bridge further south). It’s a very exciting place to visit with lots to do and see. Cijin Island is reputed to be the best place to eat fresh seafood in Kaohsiung. As well as the attractions and food, the island offers a nice clean beach where the sea is lovely and warm for swimming.

We didn't go swimming, but went with a couple of special friends, LiYun and her husband Min for seafood.  LiYun and I went to primary school together in Tainan, and we both ended up in education.  She became a special ed teacher in Kent, Ohio, and I became a professor at Dixie State, also teaching classes for Utah State and University of Phoenix.  We connected back when we lived in El Paso.  After 50+ years we finally met in Macau last year when LiYun and her husband went to Guangzhou to do a speaking tour about education.  It was a joyous reunion and we both vowed not to wait so long before meeting again.

Well, LiYun and her husband came to Gaoxiong to do some workshops on International sign language at the local schools.  Here, we met again.  We were so happy.  LiYun had great impact on me when we were in 5th grade.  My handwriting was atrocious.  Mrs. Chang, our 5th grade teacher made me sit by LiYun to learn how to write by watching her and imitating how she wrote.  LiYun's father was an educator and a famous calligrapher, and she took after her dad.  My handwriting kept improving.  By the end of our 5th grade, I placed #1 in the school-wide "calligraphy contest" at our primary school.  My teacher was so proud of me, and, of course, I was so grateful for LiYun.  We became best friends the rest of our primary and secondary school years.  It was special for me to see her again.  She stayed in contact with Mrs. Chang, our 5th grade teacher.  I remember Mrs. Chang because she was what I called my "enlightening" teacher.  I don't remember much about my schooling before the 5th grade, but she opened up my understanding and helped me developed a love for learning and a love to do well in what I do.  We were going to visit her in Tainan, but she has been sick and has Alzheimer's.   Her son took her to Taichung to live with him.  Bless her for what she has done for me and for the many youngsters she has taught and influenced for good.
Seafood at the YaJiao Restaurant
Pick out what you want in a basket and they cook it for you 

Elwin/Shirley, Ming/LiYun at Cijin Island


No comments:

Post a Comment